Period of time: 1910-1985


Up to 1985 the ancient theatre’s place was covered by the contemporary constructions and was essentially bisected by the two main streets, Al. Papanastasiou (former Acropoleos str.), which passed it through from the North to the South, as well as Venizelou str. (former Macedonia str.), which respectively passed the theatre’s height from the East to West.

In 1910, a part of the theatre’s scene was excavated in a small plot by the prevalent curator of antiquities of Thessaly. This part has been expropriated since then. In 1968, excavations for the construction’s foundation in the plot Il. and Aik. Gkarani, brought to light a part of the hollow theatre and after the realization of excavations by the dominant Curator of Antiquities of Volos, three grandstands were revealed.

Despite the Archaeological Service’s reaction, this plot was eventually built and the marble docks were encircled inside the two-storey apartment building’s foundations. After the decision made by the Central Archaeological Council (1976), the procedure of the construction’s expropriation was completed in 1979.

The structure was received by the Curator of antiquities and was demolished in 1981. The foundation of the building had become directly on the upper part of the ancient theatre’s hollow, with the result of significant damage on the theatre’s seats. In 1977, a small piece of land was excavated and expropriated in Venizelou Str., where the west side of the stage was revealed. In 1979, the Committee received the military bakeries and after their demolition (1982-83), a new part of the hollow theatre was brought to light until 1985 – as a continuation of the part that had been disclosed in Gkarani plot- as well as a part of the stage.

In these locations the part of the hollow theatre and the epitheatre had undergone severe damaged, as a result of the stone theft in early years, as well as the foundations of houses in the late turkish rule, as aforementioned, where located in this spot and were also removed in 1985. In 1985, a trial trench was reopened on the road Al. Papanasta- siou in order to label parts of the theatre around the whole axial length. Sections of the hollow and the stage were found during these trial incisions. On the contrary, no trace of the grandstand theatre and the epitheatre were found.

It is likely that the parts, which were higher than the posterior roadway, to have been destroyed during its reopening , by the end of the 19th century- in case they had not been destroyed earlier. By the year 1985 the NE part of the theatre had been revealed, whereas the south and west remains under the contemporary constructions.